« Guest Blog: Young People Deserve a Seat at the Table | Main | 6/12: IATSE and NM Film Industry Host BBQ to Support Re-Election of Rep. Ben Rodefer »

Monday, June 07, 2010

PRC Candidate Bill McCamley Looks Forward to General Election Challenge

BillMcCamley Bill McCamley, who ran unopposed in the Democratic primary for New Mexico Public Regulation Commission in District 5, has released a statement discussing his upcoming general election contest with the successful GOP candidate, Ben Hall. The two are vying for the Southern New Mexico PRC seat being vacated by Democrat Sandy Jones.

“I congratulate Mr. Hall in winning the Republican primary," McCamley said last week after the results were in. "I look forward to a good campaign where we can lay out our principles. Keeping utility rates low, ethics reform, health care, and economic development will be my priorities on the PRC. We need a new era of ethical leadership with leaders who are focused on putting people ahead of special interests and narrow agendas.”

McCamley's campaign pointed out his strong record on ethics during his tenure on the Doña Ana County Commission. He established a new ethics ordinance and represented local governments on the 2007 State Ethics Panel. McCamley also recently sat on the state board of Common Cause.

His campaign also noted McCamley's successes in renewable energy. He pushed to establish residential solar energy districts in the state as a County Commissioner, and worked with the community of Logan on a wind energy project.

“New Mexico has a huge potential to become a leader in the renewable energy industry," McCamley said. "This is important both for the job opportunities it will bring to the state and for the interests of national security in decreasing the reliance we have on countries like Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, and Russia for oil. New Mexico must be a national leader on new energy.”

McCamley also said he is committed to fight for accountability. “Many people don’t realize how much the PRC impacts the pocketbooks of New Mexico families,” he said. “The PRC has an obligation to ask tough questions of utility companies that want to raise rates, and to fight for policies that keeps corporations accountable and protect the best interests of people.”

In addition to his service on the county commission, McCamley has experience in the private, education and non-profit sectors. He is currently working on housing/retail development and establishing an astronomy education program for regional schools in Animas. He has degrees from NMSU and Harvard University. The McCamley campaign website is http://www.billmccamley.com, and he can be reached at [email protected]

Note: We can win this race, IF McCamley gets the help he needs. As many of you know, McCamley is an energetic and informed candidate, but he needs volunteers to help get the word out in that huge PRC district down south. Now's the time to get involved. Pass it on.

June 7, 2010 at 04:49 PM in 2010 NM PRC Races | Permalink

Comments

I think Bill McCamley will be an asset to the PRC. This will be an interesting race. I have met Ben Hall and find him very personable and I anticipate a fair campaign on both sides. I, too look foward to the challenge in PRC Dist. 2 race. This will be a competitive race. The people of NM deserve a candidate that will sincerely and honestly represent them and their interests and not self-serving.As a publicly funded candidate with no ties to the utility companies I can remain an independent voice for the people.The PRC is a very powerful commission and the people deserve a commissioner that is responsive and accessible to the voters. I will be that kind of commissioner.

Posted by: Stephanie DuBois | Jun 7, 2010 7:20:48 PM

I'm a demo and I would never vote for McCamley he is only chasing a pay check.

Posted by: Mary | Jun 7, 2010 8:23:06 PM

Mary,

I can't see how anyone could get that impression. He displays a lot of interest in the issues before the PRC, especially energy policy and health insurance. I've had several very substantive conversations with McCamley on these issues, and it appears that he is spending a lot of time getting prepared for the job.

In my experience, he is the opposite of those candidates who are simply interested in the PRC for the paycheck. He will be a very good addition to the PRC.

Posted by: Jason Marks | Jun 7, 2010 9:36:01 PM

I think McCamley is the best candidate for PRC in the state. Whoever "Mary" is needs to do her homework before making slurs. Bill has much support in the state, let's make sure he gets elected down south!

Posted by: John | Jun 8, 2010 9:40:13 AM

Mary says she's a "demo." I think she's a repo!

Posted by: Proud Democrat | Jun 8, 2010 6:13:44 PM

I have concerns with McCamley. I've attended a meeting in which he's ranted and railed about PNM and what their CEO earns and where the corporate jet is, etc etc etc.

We don't need an ideologue. If McCamley was actually interested in the issues before the PRC, he might realize that it's a publicly traded corporation...you can look all of that information up.

They may be valid issues. But McCamley is a perpetual candidate that has little knowledge of the position he is running for (something which he admitted at the meeting I attended). The PRC is extraordinarily important. Whether it's the Democratic Party or the GOP, we need to start running better candidates, not incompetent crooks (as most of the current membership is) or self-promoting ideologues.

Posted by: NMDem | Jun 8, 2010 9:18:08 PM

If you're rooting for PNM at this point, you are a Republican so why not be honest and sign your name as such.

Posted by: Real Democrat | Jun 8, 2010 10:02:39 PM

Actually, "chasing a paycheck" is a virtue in my book. It usually involves extensive preparation academically, emotionally and socially. "Chasing a paycheck" is hard work and indicates drive and competency in one's chosen endeavor. One would assume that a person deserves what they earn. You can't be a flaky, indecisive, discouraged person and expect to earn "a paycheck" so that the "chase" is all about demonstrating integrity, knowledge and competence and drive. Go McCamley, GO!

Posted by: qofdisks | Jun 9, 2010 9:42:44 AM

NMDem,
A new broom sweeps clean.

Posted by: qofdisks | Jun 9, 2010 9:44:37 AM