« Sen. Tom Udall Pays Tribute to Former Sen. Dennis Chavez on Anniversary of Birth | Main | Sierra Club Rio Grande Chapter Endorses Ray Powell for State Land Commissioner »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wow. Allen Weh Admits 20 New Mexicans Would Be a Better Governor Than He Could

After watching the video above of Allen Weh, GOP primary candidate for governor, I think you, too, will finally see eye-to-eye with him on at least one important point -- his fitness (or lack thereof) to be governor. I never thought I'd see the day.

In a rare moment of agreement with the Republican right winger, the Democratic Party of New Mexico today voiced its support for Allen Weh’s assertion that he doesn’t make the Top-20 list of New Mexicans qualified to be Governor. I know you'll want to join the Democratic Party of New Mexico in calling on Weh to identify the 20 New Mexicans he believes would make a better Governor, so Republican primary voters can consider writing in their names on the ballot.

The video clip is from a campaign event in Los Lunas yesterday, where Weh said, “I like telling people, that there’s probably 20 people in the state that could be a better Governor than I could. But they’re not running.”

“Needless to say, Allen Weh makes a good point -- many, many New Mexicans would make a better Governor. It’s the first honest thing we’ve heard him say in this campaign,” said DPNM spokesman James Hallinan.

Weh’s comments may remind New Mexicans of fellow Republican candidate Pete Domenici JUNIOR’s statement that he didn’t believe he could win. In case you forgot, here is that exchange:

Jim Villanucci: You obviously have a feeling on that. You said that ... not all of you can win, so somebody can’t, and you think you can. So, who can’t?

Pete Domenici Jr.: Actually, I would even include myself in the group that can’t. Uh, I don’t think this is a sure thing by any stretch ... it is gonna to be extremely tough. [Interview with Villanucci 770 KKOB, 2/17/10]

Maybe they're both revealing something they subconsciously believe to be true -- that Democrat Diane Denish is the best candidate and has the best chance to win. The truth will out!

April 21, 2010 at 05:21 PM in 2010 NM Governor's Race, Allen Weh, Democratic Party, Pete Domenici Jr., Republican Party | Permalink

Comments

Interesting that in this entire piece there is not a single mention of any issues upon which you and Weh disagree.

Hallinan statement "it is the first honest thing Weh has said in is campaign" is dishonest on its face. For example, I went to Weh's site and found the following statement in about 5 seconds; "A recent report points out that an astounding 46 percent of our high school students drop out before they receive a diploma." I would challenge Hallinan to point to the lack of honesty in the statement. Or for that matter, any statement on Weh's site.

Hallinan cannot be trusted to tell the truth, and yet he is the spokesperson for the Democrat Party. Democrats should rise up and renounce him; like they expect Republicans to rise up and renounce Limbaugh.

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 21, 2010 5:56:56 PM

That said, I can name a candidate in the race who would make a better Governor than Allen Weh would, maybe two.

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 21, 2010 5:59:27 PM

The GOP candidates are good at putting their feet in their mouths. Probably because they have nothing to say about the issues except "cut taxes". They have no plan for New Mexico. They want to destroy all that is good about the state whether it's our environment, air, water, the Railrunner or film industry jobs.

Weh is rich off of no bid contracts for his air company in Iraq during the Bush years. Maybe he will unveil those contracts so voters can see how he got them!

I disagree with him tho-there are hundreds if not thousands of New Mexicans who would make a better governor!

Posted by: No Way Weh | Apr 21, 2010 6:14:44 PM

That is because our best and brightest do not run for office. Who would want to get involved in the mean spirited circus of perpetual panhandling that constitutes our electoral process?

Posted by: qofdisks | Apr 21, 2010 10:24:44 PM

Au contraire, Rep Janice Arnold-Jones is very definitely running, and she is definitely one of our brightest and best.

I assume that she feels the same as you about that whole perpetual panhandling thing - it's not in her nature.

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 22, 2010 2:16:56 PM

Name me one thing other than putting a video camera in her committee that Arnold Jones accomplished when she was in the legislature. She did nothing but obey the right wing masters and push for tax cuts. We saw how many jobs tax cuts have produced. If she is one of our best and brightest we are in trouble.

Posted by: Old Dem | Apr 23, 2010 8:04:46 AM

Most name recognition doesn't = best. What has Denish done in the last 7 years? Martinez has a great record, experience, is native!, former Dem (so some Dem values) yet conservative. I think Martinez is gonna give Denish a good run if she is on the ticket in the general. I'm a dem, but I'm not going to take the "only" choice. I want choices...the dem party isn't offering that and I don't like our only choice.

Posted by: SValley | Apr 23, 2010 10:37:04 AM

Where have you been SValley? The lt. gov. office has little power but Denish has done so much to help small businesses and stuff for children-amazing. I hear Martinez is a bitch supreme in her office and has an ego the size of Alaska. Who is doing her work at the DA office while she campaigns?

The only reason someone who says they are a Dem would vote for Martinez is that they only vote for Hispanic last names. Do you like Bush policies? Martinez is all about that. She would cut state government until it bleeds and can't operate so no money is flowing through the state economy. She has not one positive plan for governing but she does have a Hispanic last name. That is it.

Posted by: Dona Ana | Apr 23, 2010 2:42:44 PM

Old Dem,
I am going to go out on a limb here and suppose that you have never met Janice Arnold-Jones, much less talked to her.

Further, that you will never make any effort to do that, and finally, that it wouldn't make a bit of difference if you did. You are a narrow minded bigot. You would vote for Bernie Madoff if he was running as a D.

Your lack of appreciation of the impact of "putting" webcasting in the legislature betrays your lack of understanding of the need for transparent accountability in government.

Go ahead, vote for Richardson/Denish/Colon. Let's give the culture of public corruption and incompetence continue for another four years.

Yeah, that's it.

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 23, 2010 6:17:56 PM

I vote for Democrats because they represent my beliefs. I don't vote for Republicans because all they are for is tax cuts, deregulated oil and gas drilling, privatized everything. They are against civil rights for all and against civil liberties, as demonstrated by the law enacted in Arizona to give police free rein to use racial profiling and harrass those who "look like" undocumented immigrants.

If you want to see who controls the NM GOP, check out who gives them money. Almost all of it comes from oil and gas and almost all of that comes from the Yates family and people connected to them.

Lt. Governors don't run the government and Brian Colon wasn't in the government so what you have to say about them and Richardson is silly. You should also note that Richardson has been convicted of absolutely nothing despite two grand juries looking into his affairs.

Cameras in committee meetings are good but let me know if you ever find any other accomplishment in the legislature by Arnold Jones.

Posted by: Old Dem | Apr 24, 2010 10:17:36 AM

How about the AFSCME endorsement of her based on her record of service in the legislature? would that do?

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 24, 2010 12:40:29 PM

She is the least disgusting of the GOP candidates but that's about it and not saying much

Posted by: Jimmy | Apr 24, 2010 1:32:37 PM

oh boy! another bigot!

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 24, 2010 2:53:58 PM

Bigots are people who judge people by their ethnicity, race, sex, etc. People who think GOP candidates are disgusting do so because the ideas of the GOP are horrible, narrow minded and brought us to this awful place in the economy. Big difference.

Posted by: Jimmy | Apr 24, 2010 4:53:47 PM

bigotry-stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

It is a pity that you cannot see the difference between an individual and the party they happened to be registered under.

I see very little in common between people like Rep Janice Arnold-Jones and "Parties" like the one Allen Weh created.

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 24, 2010 6:18:23 PM

She's running as a Republican. They have a platform. The platform is horrible. Go read it sometime.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 24, 2010 8:44:45 PM

I have, I doubt that you have. And I took specific issues with the plank I found offensive.

Point to a place she endorsed the Republican Party Platform.

Point to an issue that she has actually endorsed that you don't.

You are ignorant, narrow minded and bigoted. Have a nice day!

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 25, 2010 6:51:42 AM

God must love internet trolls, he made so many of them!

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 25, 2010 6:52:28 AM

Guess who's the number one internet troll on these threads? You Ched. You fill too many with your nonstop attempt to sell the virtues of right winger Janice. You have a blog of your own that nobody reads-go back and write on there.

Posted by: Art | Apr 25, 2010 10:16:19 AM

OK, I will. If ever you grow past your inability to discuss issues on anything but the most superficial, meaningless, and bigoted level, you know where to find me.

Posted by: ched macquigg | Apr 25, 2010 11:09:03 AM