Tuesday, May 10, 2011
05/19-05/22: National Gathering in ABQ of GI Rights Hotline Network
From the GI Rights Hotline:
The GI Rights Hotline -- including the local branch here in NM that many of you helped to launch -- provides information, referrals and support to members of the military, veterans, military-aged youth and their families. This year, the local group in Albuquerque will host the annual national conference, and you are invited to take part!
The conference dates are Thursday evening, May 19 (arrival, welcome), through Sunday afternoon, May 22, with the conference workshops beginning on Friday. For a full schedule, please contact Maria Santelli: 505-410-7657 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Events will take place on the UNM Campus and at the Peace and Justice Center in Albuquerque.
You can learn more about the work of the hotline, meet network members and fellow peace workers from all around the country and hear about the work of incredible local and national organizations, including:
- Civilian Medical Resources Network (CMRN), a group founded and based here in 'Burque that connects military members with civilian medical professionals who can provide objective evaluations of physical and psychological health;
- Local and National Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW), who will share information about their latest campaign, Operation Recovery, which works to end the deployment of traumatized troops;
- Courage to Resist, a national organization dedicated to supporting war resisters including Lt. Ehren Watada, will lead a workshop on ways we can support war resisters and whistleblowers like Pfc. Bradley Manning;
- the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) (invited--not confirmed), founded and based here in NM, working to protect religious freedom in the US Military; and
- *Franciscan Father Richard Rohr of the Center for Action and Contemplation (CAC), located in Albuquerque's South Valley. Father Rohr, who has counseled Military Chaplains, will be speaking on War and the Soul.
Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits will be available by special arrangement. Contact Maria at the number or email above for details. If you would like to join us for meals or if you will attend from out of town and need housing, please register by contacting Maria at the number or email above.
As always, your generous donations of time, money, or other goodies are welcome, too!
If senators won't stop the wars, maybe soldiers will--but they need our support! Thank you!