Monday, January 08, 2007
Eric Griego Launches Radio Talk Show in Time for NM 2007 Legislative Session
A new radio talk show, ‘Insight New Mexico,’ produced by our frequent guest blogger Suzanne Prescott, premieres January 13 from 3:00 to 4:00 PM on Clear Channel’s 1350 AM Talk Radio. Host of the show, Weekly Alibi columnist and former Albuquerque City Councilman Eric Griego (photo right), says the show will help fill the need for in depth state and local New Mexico radio broadcast news coverage.
“Each week we’ll wrap up major activities in New Mexico’s Roundhouse with interviews from my guests who are on top of the issues,” Griego said.
The premiere show lineup for January 13th Includes:
- Dede Feldman, well known and widely respected State Senator, who will preview major issues coming up in the 2007 legislative session.
- Maggie Toulouse, newly appointed Bernalillo County Clerk, who will discuss her goals for upcoming elections.
- James Scarantino, Albuquerque journalist & radio personality, who will provide his own take on where the legislature is going and how common media outlets will cover the issues.
- A Surprise Special Guest: What show would be complete without a surprise? Eric has some excitement in store with a special guest you will want to hear.
The show will examine major themes moving through the legislature as well as some under the radar issues that may have escaped listeners’ attention. Some of the topics that will be reviewed include:
- The Ethics Reform package - It’s already generating controversy among law makers. Will it survive?
- Raising the Minimum Wage - Will New Mexico beat Congress to the punch?
- Water, water and more water - Where will it come from and will it be safe?
- Criminal Justice - There will be more than laws against sex offenders or DWI. Find out what legislation lawmakers are looking at.
- Improving Education for New Mexicans - Will APS take it in the teeth and who’s been left behind?
- Addressing the Crisis in Health Care - Are health care & health insurance out of the reach of too many New Mexicans? Can lawmakers pass meaningful legislation?
Join Eric and his guests when the show airs on Saturdays from 3:00 to 4:00 PM. For more information you can contact Eric directly at (505) 259-7600. For frequent updates on show developments, go to the show’s blog and website at Insightnm.net. Click for bios (doc) of the show's Executive Producer Suzanne Prescott (photo left) and the show's Host Eric Griego.
It will be nice to actually here some local content on 1350. It's nice hearing the Air America national stuff, but one thing that 770 dominates in is the public discussion of local issues.
Posted by: | Jan 8, 2007 12:49:27 PM
I'm looking forward to this show. Griego is funny as well as knowledgeable and I agree with LP that a local show is so needed and welcome.
Posted by: JLC | Jan 8, 2007 1:53:52 PM
This will be a very important legislative session so it's great this will be covering it. Perfect that Eric Griego will be doing the show!
Posted by: I Vote | Jan 8, 2007 2:48:13 PM
Too bad it won't be heard all over the state.
Posted by: Old Dem | Jan 8, 2007 3:37:49 PM
It looks like they might offer podcasts of the shows at the Insightnm.net program website.
Posted by: Red or Green | Jan 8, 2007 5:27:35 PM
There is someone who keeps posting spam comments here. I have removed them and I know who the person is from their ISP number. Please stop.
| Jan 8, 2007 6:32:20 PM
Good to have a station that isn't carrying the usual right wing crap. Of course maybe griego should get some republicans on there so he can have other guests that counter their silly arguments. Get some young republicans like Fox-Young, Youngberg, Gardner or the new Whip Foley all who would be easy pickings because they lack the smartness of griego and others who see through their lack of reasoning.
Posted by: | Jan 8, 2007 10:11:52 PM
1350 has a mixed record when it comes to supporting local content: there was Dana Goldberg's weekend call-in show back when the new format started and after that the "Our America" program. Both seemed to come & go before getting much of a chance to find an audience.
The NM "Science Watch" program has some kind of foundational support to keep it going, but I don't know if that's what you'd want for an independent-minded talk show with a host who may run for office again. I hope Griego gets a real chance at this & doesn't just evaporate after the Legislative Session.
Posted by: infodog | Jan 10, 2007 1:23:11 PM
... and here's Mixed Support, Exhibit A:
At 10am Thursday I heard 1350's first promo for "Insight NM" previewing the debut show with guests, etc., just what a listener needs to hear & placed in the primo spot between Stephanie Miller & Al Franken, just one problem ...
The promo ran simultaneously with the 10am news feed -- a listener who hadn't heard of the show on blogs like this would've had no clue what was being said. This double-feeding (if that's what it's called) has been a regular feature of that station for more than a year now.
Don't mean to knock the station, really: you do what you can w/the resources you've got & they're doing a service for all of us, but I can't keep buying hempware at Celebro in the vain hope that 1350 will hire a tech crew full-time.
Posted by: infodog | Jan 11, 2007 11:00:09 AM
Infodog, that's sad to hear. Radio these days is in such a mess on most stations. You'd think some monied liberals would help create a strong, efficient station and shows. By all accounts Air America was run by total asses.
Posted by: JLC | Jan 11, 2007 12:12:54 PM
Is Eric Griego still running for State Senate? We haven't heard anything for months. Please let me know.
Posted by: Jan Jeffries | Nov 29, 2007 4:45:17 PM