Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Los Alamos Study Group to Launch New Disarmament Center
From the Los Alamos Study Group:
The Los Alamos Study Group is seeking volunteers for its NEW Los Alamos Disarmament Center in Los Alamos, opening December 10th. This is a bold action that will allow us to be a part of the Los Alamos Community and be a voice for those working for nuclear disarmament from a localized place. The Center will be a base for social action, studies of peace and justice issues, and spiritual formation. It will do this through a number of means:
- The Center will be an educational resource and “counter-museum,” attracting visitors interested in an alternative perspective to what the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Bradbury Science Museum offers.
- It will bring attention to the large number of businesses and organizations that have endorsed the Call for Nuclear Disarmament.
- It will be a converging force to spread the Call for Nuclear Disarmament and to carry out other organizing initiatives.
- It will be a place for small discussion groups and meetings.
- It will offer a supportive base for LANL employees and others in the Los Alamos Community to oppose the design and manufacturing of nuclear weapons at the LANL.
- It will attract visiting scholars, interns, and other activists from afar to work with us.
- It will offer religious communities an arena to incorporate social action into their spiritual formation.
Join us in creating a Disarmament Center that will be a focal point for political, social justice, and spiritual action! Educational programs, organizations, and spiritual communities, and individuals are invited to create a formal program with us or make arrangements to volunteer at the Los Alamos Disarmament Center to stand up against militarism, nuclear weaponry and environmental hazards. This may be in the form of an internship, a spiritual social action program, or out of a social consciousness to work for non-violent change. We envision the Center to be a network of concerned citizens contributing to the common goal of nuclear disarmament.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 505-265-1200 for more information.