« Congressional District 1 Race Latest Poll Results | Main | 5/25: Elect Mary Ellen HD30 Launch Party »

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dear Congressional District 1 Candidates

As this Congressional District 1 race heats up a bit more everyday this blog is trying to remain neutral. Maybe some of you reading this will disagree but we are. There have been intense arguments written in the comment section of the blog of people venting against their opposing candidate and talking up their candidate. Unless the comment was posted verbatim in another comment thread, the comments have remained as is, unedited, but yes we do check for really off base bad destructive comments and remove them.

As you know or don't know DFNM Meetup endorsed Eric Griego for the CD1 candidate of their choice. Now we are at the very very very worst time of campaign primary season. I receive guest blogs daily laying out negatives and postives. There is no way the information within the guest blogs can be traced down, so I really do try not to put up something that is real destructive. Barb's philosophy on this blog was we are democrats and most of the time any of the dems running for office will be way better than an R.

And that is the main point, whether the democrats in CD1 choose: Marty Chavez, Eric Griego or Michelle Lujan Grisham, Democracy for New Mexico blog will be 200% behind them. I have very close friends living in my house since Barb passed, and we talk for hours about politics. We take it seriously, we want the best candidate to help this state and the country. Honestly, it is a tough choice who is the best candidate to help us out of this mess we are in. What we are certain about is; we need help out here big time. I still maintain what my experience has been in my race for state rep 30, practically every door I knock on has underemployed, unemployed, overworked and sickness in their home. That is the facts.

Like what Leslie L said in the journal today, paraphrasing; watching the debate on Saturday evening, "good thing she wasn't taking a shot every time one of the candidates said I will be fighting for you." I looked up the word fight in the thesaurus to see if I could suggest another word. What I found I liked the best were the antonyms for the word fighting: advance, cultivate, encourage, forward, foster, further, nourish, nurture, promote.

In summary, I have not voted yet. I generally wait to the election day. But we are all democrats and we should be careful of the circular firing squad. We know each of the candidates is tough, you have to be to be running, I say we democrats are blessed with three wonderful candidates. Sure they all have their imperfections but they all are beauties next to another R in the US House of Representatives.

For myself, I thank each of you for running and having your whole life picked apart. We need jobs, we need healthcare, we need a safe environment, we need civil rights, we need education, we need compassion.

May 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM in Candidates & Races, Eric Griego, Martin Chavez, NM-01 Congressional Race 2012 | Permalink

Comments

Please take the apostrophe out of the headline.

Posted by: Tom | May 24, 2012 4:07:18 PM

Griego wants to live by his own set of rules

ALEC

Griego’s Public Position
Eric Griego is an outspoken opponent of corporate donations and ALEC.

Griego’s Private Position.
Altria, GlaxoSmithKline, and Union Pacific are all major players in ALEC and donated to Griego.

Clean Election

Griego’s Expectations for Other Politicians
Eric Griego made cleaning up elections a center piece of this campaign. Senate Memorial 3 opposed Citizens United and called on Congress to send a Constitutional Amendment to the states to overturn the

Eric’s Expectations for Himself
Griego is benefiting from a Super PAC that is launching a negative attack against his opponent. The Progressive Kick has spent at least $20,275 in support of Griego.

Fighting for Working Families

NM Voices for Children
Griego was the Executive Director who earned almost a six figure salary. During his time there, he fought to increase resources dedicated to poor children.

The Severance Package
He took a $24,000 severance package that was not part of his contract. The poverty level for a family of four is $23,050. He did not need to work for the money meant for poor children.

There is also a campaign component associated with the $24,000 windfall. Was the payout a campaign contribution? The FEC took a look at that question. Listen to the FEC.

The Bankers
Eric Griego produced commercial where he said,” I won’t stop until Wall Street bankers who broke the law go to jail.”

Griego
He has had 11 warrants because he believes the rules we must live by do not apply to him.

More at the link

Posted by: Ken | May 24, 2012 4:49:52 PM

Ken, I looked at your data on the donations, you are srsly thinking $250 is going to buy Eric's support for those corporations? I don't think so.

As a supporter of Eric's, I wish he was perfect, and I don't like the issue about the tickets, but srsly do you want to make this election about traffic tickets? You must be kidding.

Everyone has some issues like this, and it makes running for office, to do things that we believe are the right things to do, practically impossible.

I imagine the characteristics that make someone want to run for office involve risk taking, multi-tasking, over-reaching in some aspects of life. People make mistakes, people balance their lives in different ways.

The ABQ Journal loves this kind of story, they endorsed MLG, how can it not be seen as a tool? People can talk about PACs, they don't coordinate with the campaigns. The AJ is colluding here, that's how it looks to me. They have been after Griego since day one.

Vote. That's what you can do.

Posted by: bg | May 24, 2012 7:38:49 PM

$250 is significant in a State Senate race. It takes $50,000 to win a State Senate race,

Griego has raised $847,000 so far for a US House primary. That is 16.94 times the amount of money needed for State Senate and this is only the primary.

$250*16.94= $4,235

$4,235 is almost $2,000 more than the maximum allowable contribution for a federal primary.

If a cornerstone of his campaign is ending corporate influence and ALEC's influence in Washington, he should have turned down ALL contributions from members of ALEC.

The hypocrisy is astonishing.

Posted by: Ken | May 24, 2012 9:04:52 PM

Sorry, that makes no sense. $250 is $250. As a portion of $50K, it is .05%.

As a portion of what you are saying is %850K, well, a gnat's ass is bigger.

Yeah, let's go for perfect, see how far that goes. How big of a deal is this, srsly?

Posted by: bg | May 25, 2012 8:17:30 AM

It is evidence that he wants to live by another set of rules.

He took corporate contribution from Qwest,PNM, an insurance lobbying organization, and the NM Realtor Association. He cannot talk about clean elections and ALEC when he is taking money from them.

Also, tell me if you think it was ok for him to take $24,000 out of the mouths of poor children to benefit his upper middle-class lifestyle.

Posted by: Ken | May 25, 2012 9:00:01 AM

Utmost importance: we must keep this seat in the D column. As has been said elsewhere, bicker all you like until the Primary, then please throw your whole-hearted support behind the candidate.

Posted by: Dan | May 25, 2012 11:34:35 AM

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Ken, did you happen to see a pile of signs for Eric Griego around your parts? The ones on my block disappeared last night.

Posted by: bg | May 25, 2012 12:13:58 PM

"Ken" posts as "Ken505" on nmpolitics.net, and his first post here is an exact duplicate of his nmpolitics.net comment. (Griego: People want you to stand for something).

Harping on Griego's severance package and his driving tickets (the last one being 5 years ago, according to what I read) is a bit low. I'm not a big Griego fan, but I think every candidate should be treated with respect for their hard work--I sure know how hard it is, as I am on my fourth campaign, strengthening the democratic process in SE NM

Posted by: Ellen Wedum | May 25, 2012 11:31:10 PM

Tough territory EW. I would vote for you.

Posted by: qofdisks | May 26, 2012 9:08:14 AM

Ken is a broken record and can be safely ignored without losing alot of sleep.

Posted by: Lora Lucero | May 26, 2012 9:11:48 PM