« DFNM Meetup Members Endorse Eric Griego for the CD1 Primary Candidate | Main | DPNM Platform: Promote and Foster the Common Good »

Sunday, March 11, 2012

New Mexico Democratic Party Pre-Primary Convention Results

The Democratic Pre-Primary Convention was held this weekend. There was a wonderful party on Friday night, lots of sharing and laughing. On Saturday - Convention Day, the Convention hall was packed. We all heard great speeches, from Senator Udall, and retiring Senator Bingaman to the great democratic candidates running for offices. I will be posting on all this activity early in the week. Suffice to say for now, we have great candidates all thinking of the greater good!

For now I wanted to share the results of the voting that occurred yesterday. The raw video of Chairman Gonzales announcing the results of the Pre-primary voting. Great results by all! (Except maybe Harry Montoya.)

March 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM in DPNM Pre-Primary Convention 2012 | Permalink

Comments

Thanks for posting this...it was hard to locate the results.
DFA rocks!

Posted by: Bill Monroe | Mar 12, 2012 8:49:49 AM

thank you very much Bill!

Posted by: Mary Ellen | Mar 12, 2012 9:26:20 AM

So, as a complete outsider to this process, what does all this mean? Does it mean that the candidates that got fewer votes stop running and the Democrats throw their full weight behind the winning candidates?
Just because you were there, do not assume that this undemocratic pre-selection is understandable to the rest of us. I would also appreciate an actual listing of the names with respective statistics. I know it makes you guys feel all important and exclusive to use insider political jargon about arcane political processes but please, spell it out for the regulars that stay home.

Posted by: qofdisks | Mar 12, 2012 10:14:36 AM

"Great results by all! (Except maybe Harry Montoya.)"
Who lost to Ben Ray Lujan 8% to 92%!

And in the southern district (CD2), Evelyn Madrid Erhard from Las Cruces beat Frank McKinnon of Roswell 88% to 12%.

If you want to keep up with Bernalillo County Dem. Party happenings, sign up for the weekly e-mails at the County Party website: http://www.bernalillodems.org/
Ana Canales, county party chair, sent out one with the convention results at 8:20 Sat. night.

Apparently the web guy for the State party wasn't on duty over the weekend, but they put the results on their Facebook page (Democratic Party of New Mexico).

Posted by: Michelle Meaders | Mar 12, 2012 10:24:59 AM

@qofdisks: The process is *not* undemocratic by any means. Delegate selection is carried out at party meetings, and it roughly measures candidate support among engaged party regulars. Moreover, the convention vote only does two things. First, it determines the order of appearance on the primary ballot. Second, a candidate who does not receive at least 20% (actually 19.5%) of the vote must submit double the signatures to appear on the ballot.

The first provision is fairly low stakes; being first on the ballot may be worth a few primary votes, but IMHO it's better than determining the order by lot. The second provision reduces the clown car effect by encouraging obviously non-viable candidates to drop out of the race; it ensures that candidates must have a functioning campaign apparatus to get on the ballot.

The real import of the pre-primary convention is not statutory. It's about funding. Candidates with little support among party regulars find their donations from big donors dry up. That probably won't be the case this year - Michelle Lujan Grisham's 26% and Hector Balderas' 45% show them to be viable candidates, in my view - but it has had an effect in the past.

The pre-primary results can also illuminate the fervor of the candidates' volunteer base. They do not by any means predict the outcome of the primary election in June. The results are useful for handicapping, but little more. Eric Griego and Hector Balderas helped themselves by showing enthusiastic support. Marty Chavez fell flat. JMHO.

(Full disclosure: I am a Ward chair and State Central Committee member, i.e. an insider. I voted for and enthusiastically support Eric Griego and Martin Heinrich.)

Posted by: Proud Democrat | Mar 12, 2012 2:26:39 PM

If I may quibble a bit with this statement:

"Delegate selection is carried out at party meetings, and it roughly measures candidate support among engaged party regulars."

The ward and precinct meetings at which the delegates to the pre-primary nominating convention were chose were open to every registered democrat.

That means that campaigns could, and did, try to get their supporters to those meetings, even if those supporters were newcomers and in no way party regulars. I remember that back in October Marty Chaves' web site was asking people to attend the ward and precinct meetings and be delegates for him.

So it also is a (deeply flawed) measure of a campaign's ability to get its supporters out to a meeting or to a polling place. (disclosure: I was a delegate at the request of the Griego campaign, for which I have been volunteering. Had they not asked, I would not have gone).

What I got from the DPBC (Dem Party Bern Cnty) Saturday 8:20pm:

For U.S. Senate -
Congressman Martin Heinrich, 907 votes for 54.77%
State Auditor Hector Balderas, 749 votes for 45.23

For U.S. Representative from CD1 -
State Senator Eric Griego, 281 votes for 40.72%
Former Mayor Marty Chavez, 230 votes for 33.33%
County Commissioner Michelle Lujan Grisham, 179 votes for 25.94%

For NM Court of Appeals -
Monica Zamora, 1030 votes for 62.65%
Victor Lopez, 614 votes for 37.35%

Posted by: Michael H Schneider | Mar 12, 2012 7:46:35 PM

Michael, I think we're quibbling about definitions. I'd include newcomers who attended ward and precinct meetings in "engaged party regular." You probably don't see yourself that way. Automatic delegates also included Ward chairs and State Central Committee members. The people who showed up because they were recruited by campaigns are the major component of the campaigns' viability. I just didn't want to get into the details while making a general statement.

Posted by: Proud Democrat | Mar 12, 2012 9:13:42 PM

I have found how competent the ward/county chair is has a lot to do with how well non-insiders and newcomers feel and are treated at Party events. One suggestion on this: Candidates Do Not stress how many generations your family has been in New Mexico. This sets an exclusionary tone for newcomers and new participants.

Posted by: LarryNM | Mar 12, 2012 11:48:02 PM

Thank you all. This cleared up so much for me and anyone else who cannot go to these things.
I am relieved that is does incorporate some sort of winnowing process.
For a moment there, I thought is was just about the party the night before. (Still kinda do)
LarryNM, I do not agree. The exclusionary tone was the assumption that people that follow the blogs would necessarily know and understand what the heck this was all about. That anybody who was anybody would know and they are all that matters anyway. I have no inclination or time or money to attend these things. Believe it or not, a person does not have to be a part of the party clique to vote or be informed. I could give a rats ass bout WHO was there, I am interested as to what purpose.
I will never hesitate to ask for clarity because I don't care what the party elite thinks about a common voter like me.
Again, thanks Proud Democrat and Michael Schneider for clarifying.

Posted by: qofdisks | Mar 13, 2012 10:44:21 AM

BTW, I am located in the paradise that is CD2. I do follow CD1 also because those politicians do influence what happens down the corridor.

Posted by: qofdisks | Mar 13, 2012 10:48:20 AM

NM tends to cannibalize its Democratic losers and Marty lost for Mayor to Albuquerque to the wing-nut. Marty should have realized that it was time to bow out because the republicans inspired a great deal of anger at the incumbent. Still, we really need to weigh who will be able to go up against Heather Wilson with her massive outside the state funding. She will have both the governorship and the mayor of the largest city in her court. It is going to be very very tough for the Democrats to hold on to that Senate seat. If the NM democrats where smart, they would hold some debates between Griego, Chavez and Grisham.

Posted by: qofdisks | Mar 13, 2012 12:43:19 PM

PD: you're right, it's a minor bit - and you're right about the automatic delegates. I'd forgotten about them. I think that staying at the convention center all day caused me some brain damage.

qofdisks: unless I'm very much mistaken, Heather Wilson will be up against the winner of the Heinrich/Balderas race. And you're right, she's going to be a very tough opponent, with big support in southern NM and from the many republicans in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.

As best as I can tell without paying much attention to the republicans, the winner of the Griego/Chavez/L-J primary will be up against Dan Lewis and his Crosshairs For Christ group.

Again, as best as I know, a lot of democrats are angry with Marty Chavez for (allegedly) betraying some municipal unions, and for supporting sprawling growth on the west side, for the way the Montano bridge was done, and other things.

Posted by: Michael H Schneider | Mar 13, 2012 4:13:20 PM

A lot of other things. I believe that Albuquerque still has Marty fatigue. His adherents think it's only party regulars like me. We'll see in June whether Marty's high negatives outweigh his overwhelming name recognition. I can say I don't know who will win, but I hope it isn't Marty. With Obama's coattails, he's the only Democrat who could possibly lose to the likes of Dan Lewis or Janice Arnold-Jones.

Posted by: Proud Democrat | Mar 13, 2012 5:02:29 PM