« New Mexicans: Urge Governor Martinez and GOP Politicians to Return Contributions from Corrupt Koch Brothers | Main | Bright Spot In NM Special Session: Jobs Bill Signed Into Law »

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Martin Heinrich Reports Raising $650,000 for Senate Race in Q3, More Than $1M on Hand

MartinHeinrich2CR When he files his third quarter fundraising report with the Federal Elections Commission on October 15, Martin Heinrich will show that he raised just over $650,000 between July 1 and September 30, 2011, for his campaign for the U.S. Senate, according to a statement released by his campaign today. The campaign also said it will report a cash-on-hand total of more than $1.1 million, and that "the impressive total was fueled by 2,596 individuals, 94 percent of whom gave $200 or less."

“I am honored by the commitment of each and every person who, in the face of difficult times and adverse situations, invested in this campaign,” Heinrich said. “We still have a long way to go, but given the outpouring of support, I know we will be successful, and I humbly thank everyone who stands with me.”

“Pundits and prognosticators are already calling the 2011 third fundraising quarter ‘abysmal,’” former U.S. Ambassador Ed Romero said. “The fact that Martin was able to raise this much money in such a difficult environment proves several things, which I have believed for a long time: Martin gives 120 percent of himself to everything he does; no one can outwork Martin; and women and men all across our great state want to see Martin as their next United States senator.”

No word yet from the Hector Balderas for Senate campaign on his third quarter fundraising totals.

Last Quarter
For the 2Q FEC reporting period ending June 30, 2011, the Balderas campaign reported raising $400,000 in its first two months, with approximately $370,000 cash-on hand. (Balderas did not announce his candidacy until April 26.)

Heinrich for Senate reported raising $485,000 in the second quarter and  just over $700,000 cash on hand.

To see a collection of our posts on the 2012 U.S. Senate race in New Mexico, visit our archive.

Photo by M.E. Brodeick.

October 5, 2011 at 01:02 PM in 2012 NM Senate Race, Hector Balderas, Rep. Martin Heinrich (NM-01) | Permalink

Comments

I don't care how much he raises, I am voting for Hector in the primaries. I hope they keep this primary clean so Democrats can support the winner.

Posted by: New Mexican | Oct 5, 2011 5:18:09 PM

I don't car how much money he raises, I'm voting for Heinrich.

I listened hard at the DFNM meeting last month when Balderas was asked what he'd do about the appalling unemployment crisis. The only specific action I heard him endorse was ... wait for it ... tax cuts.

The very idea that has failed so often in the past. He said specifically tax cuts for small businesses, but that sure sounds like tax cuts to me. If his only idea is a bad idea, I'm not voting for him.

Posted by: Michael H Schneider | Oct 5, 2011 6:53:30 PM

Sadly, Heinrich is like Obama, a politician who calls himself a Dem, but who has forgotten traditional Dem values. Both campaigned espousing progressive values and then turned "New Dem". More betrayal.

No way I will vote for him again.

Posted by: Lou | Oct 5, 2011 9:28:09 PM

Most of the young college students that I speak to support Martin Heinrich. They are active in variety of issues, but not the Democratic Party. They see both parties as corrupt, and most politicians as out for themselves. They e-mail Martin Heinrich with their concerns and he responses to them and up dates them on their issues. They like Martin Heinrich because he is an engineer and they think that we need more engineers in Congress than lawyers. They want engineers because engineers understand the global environmental, national infrastructure, high tech, and educational issues the nation faces than someone with a business, or law degree. Martin Heinrich has a huge support amongst the independent youth vote and they don't like Hector, because the only offers sound bites which twenty year old college students can see right through. This is just a thing to think about in the primary that Martin can carry the independent vote in 2012.

Posted by: precinct chair | Oct 6, 2011 9:47:26 AM

As a young, twenty -something recent law school grad, I take offense to your comment. I understand the global environmental, national infrastructure, high-tech, and educational issues very well. But not only because of my law degree, but because 1) i care and 2) im intelligent. It doesn't take an engineer to understand all of these highly complex issues. In fact, I would argue the exact opposite: I'm not sure someone with a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering (who I'm not sure has ever practiced in the field) can deal with the highly complex issues facing our nation. HB has a professional degree, and he has actually practiced on his field. As for the young vote: Please go check out each candidate's public events. MH is usually surrounded by paid staffers. HB is surrounded usually by dozens of young, manynof them independent voters. Not sure who these young college lads you speak of are. I hand yet to see MH ably organize a youth movement. HB has.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 6, 2011 12:57:37 PM

Sorry. About the typos. I'm commenting from my phone.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 6, 2011 1:00:35 PM

I have been to events for both of them and they both have a mix of people older and younger, Hispanic and Anglo, and different backgrounds. So stop the spin on that. Of course Martin has staffers-all incumbent candidates do.

We need to judge these two on the issues and how they behave as the race heats up. Iw want to see some debates and forums. We have 2 excellent dems running for senate and we should give both of them respect ands lisaten what they have to say.

Posted by: Dem voter | Oct 6, 2011 3:37:37 PM