« Events Tonight and Sunday in Santa Fe With Diane Denish and Rep. Ben Ray Lujan | Main | Teague Okays First Round of Debates, Challenges Pearce to Radio Debate Series »

Friday, August 27, 2010

A Little Birdie Told Us Jim Scarantino Is Leaving New Mexico In Focus, Maybe More

Scarantino One of our talkative birds on a wire told us that notorious tea party movement enthusiast and Rio Grande Foundation-backed blogger Jim Scarantino will no longer be a panelist on KNME's New Mexico In Focus, which airs on Friday evenings. The word is he's retiring to spend time with his wife, sing opera and climb mountains -- or something.

As I'm sure you all know by now, I'm no fan of Scarantino and his prickly, pompous verbal vendettas against all things Democratic, progressive or environmental so I won't be missing him on the weekly talk show. I am curious, however, about whether he will also be "retiring" from the New Mexico Watchdog blog. And if he is, why?

Could it be that some authority or donor to the Rio Grande Foundation has finally realized Scarantino has gone a little too far on more than a few occasions pumping the partisan tea party line? Stay tuned.

August 27, 2010 at 03:35 PM in Local Politics, Media, Right Wing, Weblogs | Permalink

Comments

Lassen Sie nicht die Tür treffen Sie auf dem Weg nach draußen, Jimmy

Posted by: Save the Lobos | Aug 27, 2010 4:32:41 PM

It could be that KNME sacked him, and this will free him to pursue the libertarian dream with more gusto than ever.

I hope this means that KNME is looking to increase the intelligence quotient of their New Mexico in Focus by finding people who actually are worth listening to.

When I first moved to town, I thought this was a good show to tune into in order to pick up on what was going on, but I quit tuning in. It seems to be some people who think they understand the world, speculating on stuff like any other bunch of people who might meet on Friday night and kvetch over a beer or two. Why do they think this is interesting?

It isn't reality TV, whatever it is. One would think PBS could do better.

Posted by: Stuart Heady | Aug 28, 2010 11:39:44 AM

I stopped watching a long time ago but they always seemed to have two hard core conservatives including Scarantino, one semi-liberal, and one independent. For a long time, they had the Republican party executive director as a regular. I wrote the station and asked that they put the Democrat executive director on as well. That never happened.

Posted by: Jim Hannan | Aug 31, 2010 12:04:32 AM

I can assure you Jim was not "sacked" from NMiF. He has been a valuable asset to THE LINE roundtable for the last few years. We strive on the show to bring different perspectives to the table for a comprehensive discussion on the key issues of our day. I stand by the balance at our table each week. Currently our regulars are Jim, Laura Sanchez, an environmental lawyer and former ED of the democratic party and Sophie Martin, managing editor of Duke City Fix. I challenge you to find a better, more informed discussion on TV in New Mexico about the important issues affecting our state.

Posted by: Kevin McDonald | Aug 31, 2010 10:22:05 AM

So is Scarantino "retired" Kevin?

He was always allowed to drone on much too long and get way more air time than the others.

Posted by: D. S. | Aug 31, 2010 12:05:40 PM

This will be Jim's last week on NMiF. I'm not sure what his plans are with the Watchdog. The other panelists on any given week are more than empowered to jump in on Jim if he is "droning" on too long. Folks who disagree with Jim have to be willing to step up to the plate too!

Posted by: Kevin McDonald | Sep 1, 2010 10:13:15 AM