« May 4-6: Free UNM Conference Invites Public Discourse on DREAM Act | Main | 5/2 Las Cruces: Q & A with Congressman Harry Teague, Hosted by Sen. Steve Fischmann, PRC Candidate Bill McCamley »

Friday, April 30, 2010

GOP Gov. Candidate Allen Weh on AZ Immigration Law: 'I Haven't Read the Bill'

Republican Gubernatorial candidate Allen Weh -- the frontrunner in the GOP primary by his own assessment and that of many others -- seems to be having a little trouble with consistency.

In response to a question about the new Arizona immigration law at a UNM meet and greet yesterday, he said he couldn't comment on it because he hadn't read the 17-page bill that requires police officers to ask for proof of citizenship from anyone they deem to be reasonably suspicious. That same evening, at a Republican debate, he side-stepped the question of whether he had read the bill (see video above for clip of both answers).

This past Tuesday, in an Albuquerque Journal article, Weh weighed in on the law this way:

Arizona's new law compels us more than ever to enforce existing law, or risk becoming an even bigger magnet for illegal immigrants and criminals. I'll start by rescinding the executive order barring State Police from reporting illegal immigrants that they stop or apprehend, and ending driver's licenses for illegal immigrants.

Read_the_bill_sign I guess earlier this week he felt he knew enough about the bill to comment on it, but by Thursday it suddenly struck him that he hadn't "read the bill," a phrase so often used in Tea Party parlance. As in, "Hey Democratic Congressman, have you READ THE BILL?" (As we've learned, every Tea Party person claims to have read the bill, no matter what bill they're complaining about.)

Why, Weh, Why?
Your guess is as good as mine as to why Weh changed his answer as the week went on. Was it because he read the bill early in the week, but had forgotten what's in it a few days later? Was it because he only pretended to know what the bill said when he commented to the Journal about it on Tueday, and he decided to be honest on Thursday and admit he hadn't really read it?

Or did Weh take notice of the passionate and widespread backlash caused by the bill's enactment and decide to pretend he hadn't read it so he didn't have to give a clear response?

Winging It
Images Regardless of the reason for his inconsistency, his sloppiness is proof positive that he isn't really ready for prime time. Accomplished and competent candidates make sure they have their facts straight before engaging the public. It appears that Weh just wings it -- and expects nobody to notice.

Weh apparently winged it when he helped put together his latest TV ad, too. He makes a big deal about Democratic candidate Diane Denish's alleged use of stimulus funds to fly in a state plane to a parade in Gallup. The only trouble is that's not true.

Like a CEO?
Remember that Weh repeatedly says he wants to run the state like a CEO runs a business. Owners or managers this discombobulated and/or dishonest usually don't get very far in the competitive world of business -- unless they've got the inside track on federal contracts, as Weh's air service company apparently did during the Iraq War. Or maybe he's patterning himself on the dishonest Wall Street CEOs who were allowed to run amok and lie to investors, thanks to the Republican addiction to deregulation. Either way, candidates this fickle with the facts are unlikely to win many elections -- or to govern in a competent, transparent manner if they do manage to get into office. Details matter, and Allen Weh can't seem to get them right.

"Mr. Weh says he wants to run New Mexico like a CEO, but with Wall Street CEOs giving themselves outrageous bonuses and Weh's disregard for simple details, the people of New Mexico have to ask themselves if that's the type of executive leadership our state needs," said James Hallinan, DPNM spokesman. "Mr. Weh is running for governor, but so far he has outlined no ideas, just poorly sourced attacks and a penchant for being unprepared."

April 30, 2010 at 05:52 PM in 2010 NM Governor's Race, Allen Weh, Border Issues, Civil Liberties, Hispanic Issues, Immigration, Minority Issues, Republican Party | Permalink

Comments

Give Allen Weh a break! You're just discriminating against people with onset-Alzheimer's...

Posted by: turqdog | Apr 30, 2010 7:59:28 PM

Someone on his staff pointed out that this is going to cost the R's the Hispanic vote for, oh say, a generation or two.

It's nearly impossible to win a statewide race in this state when your only base is older white males; some of whom still remember what a mess Weh made of their party.

Posted by: Claudia Anderson | Apr 30, 2010 10:40:12 PM

Weh is as dumb as a post and as immoral as any felon. Good choice Republicans!

Posted by: editorialist | May 1, 2010 4:51:46 PM

Well, I have to say putting Weh's comment on not reading a bill he didn't have any say, in the same category as a congressmen like Heinrich who didn't read a bill that affects the whole nation is what is expected from this site, I guess. Also, for the record, the Republicans haven't voted for anyone yet. Nor have the Democrats. Susana Martinez for governor.

Posted by: Sid | May 3, 2010 10:53:11 AM

Martin Heinrich carried the bill with markups and tabs the whole time the health care reform debate was going on. He was awesomely knowledgable about it. Where do you get your information Sid-from Fox News or Jim Vallanucci?

Why don't you ask Martinez who is running her office while she is out kissing up to teabaggers?

Posted by: Sam | May 3, 2010 11:02:14 AM

@everybody re: Sid - Do Not Feed the Trolls!

Posted by: Proud Democrat | May 3, 2010 1:50:26 PM

I wonder what kind of business Weh would have without government contracts tailored just for him.

Posted by: Erin | May 3, 2010 2:11:36 PM

So back to the original piece. Why do you care whether or not someone you obvoisly care nothing about and who does not have a political office read a bill or not. You won't vote for him nor will I but how many making ignorant comments have been made by people on sites like this have read the bill.

And I got my info from Heinrich's office when I called to ask. They told me he didn't "have time to read the whole bill" but he knew the prmise of it and was very much up with it.

So apples and oranges and I guess this isn't a site for dialouge just hate speech and racist remarks. But I think I'll stick around for a couple of days so you can call me names and such.

Posted by: Sid | May 3, 2010 3:42:14 PM

I think ol Charlie Daniels says it BEST!!!

I don't know how everybody else feels about it, but to me I
think Hispanic people in this country, legally or illegally,
made a huge public relations mistake with their recent demonstrations.

I don't blame anybody in the world for wanting to come to the
United States of America , as it is a truly wonderful place.

But when the first thing you do when you set foot on American soil is illegal it is flat out wrong and I don't care how many lala land left heads come out of the woodwork and start trying
to give me sensitivity lessons.

I don't need sensitivity lessons, in fact I don't have any-thing against Mexicans! I just have something against criminals and anybody who comes into this country illegally is a criminal
and if you don't believe it try coming into America from a foreign country without a passport and see how far you get. What disturbs me about the demonstrations is that it's tanta-mount to saying, "I am going to come into your country even if it means breaking your laws and there's nothing you can do about it."

It's an "in your face" action and speaking just for me, I don't like it one little bit and if there were a half dozen pairs of gonads in Washington bigger than English peas it wouldn't be happening.

Where are you, you bunch of lily livered, pantywaist, forked tongued, sorry excuses for defenders of The Constitution? Have you been drinking the water out of the Potomac again?
And even if you pass a bill on immigration it will probably be so pork laden and watered down that it won't mean anything anyway Besides, what good is another law going to do when you
won't enforce the ones on the books now?

And what ever happened to the polls, guys? I thought you folks were the quintessential finger wetters. Well you sure ain't paying any attention to the polls this time because somewhere around eighty percent of Americans want some thing done about this mess, and mess it is and getting bigger everyday.

This is no longer a problem, it is a dilemma and headed for being a tragedy. Do you honestly think that what happened in France with the Muslims can't happen here when the businesses who hire these people finally run out of jobs and a few million disillusioned Hispanics take to the streets?

If you, Mr. President, Congressmen and Senators, knuckle under on this and refuse to do something meaningful it means that you care nothing for the kind of country your children and grand-children will inherit. But I guess that doesn't matter as long as you get re-elected.
Shame on you.
One of the big problems in America today is that if you have the nerve to say anything derogatory about any group of people (except Christians) you are going to be screamed at by the media and called a racist, a bigot and anything else they can think of to call you

Well I've been pounded by the media before and I'm still rockin' and rollin' and when it comes to speaking the truth I fear not.
And the truth is that the gutless, gonadless, milksop politicians are just about to sell out the United States of America because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to face reality.

And reality is that we would never allow any other group of people to have 12 million illegal in this country and turn around and say, "Oh it's ok, ya'll can stay here if you'll just allow us to slap your wrist."

And I know that some of you who read this column are saying "Well what's wrong with that?"
I'll tell you what's wrong with it. These people could be from Mars as far as we know. We don't know who they are, where they are or what they're up to and the way the Congress is going we're not going to.

Does this make sense? Labor force you say? We already subsidize corporate agriculture as it is, must we subsidize their labor as well?
If these people were from Haiti would we be so fast to turn a blind eye to them or if they were from Somalia or Afghanistan ?
I think not.

All the media shows us are pictures of hard working Hispanics who have crossed the border just to try to better their life.
They don't show you pictures of the Feds rounding up members of MS 13, the violent gang who came across the same way the decent folks did. They don't tell you about the living conditions of the Mexican illegal some fat cat hired to pick his crop.

I want to make two predictions.

No. 1: This situation is going to grow and fester until it erupts in violence on our streets while the wimps in Washington drag their toes in the dirt and try to figure how many tons of political hay they can make to the acre.

No 2: Somebody is going to cross that border with some kind of weapon of mass destruction and set it off in a major American city after which there will be a backlash such as this country has never experienced and the Capitol building in Washington will probably tilt as Congressmen and Senators rush to the other side of the issue.

I don't know about you but I would love to see just one major politician stand up and say, "I don't care who I make mad and I don't care how many votes I lose, this is a desperate situation and I'm going to lead the fight to get it straightened out."
I don't blame anybody for wanting to come to America , but if you don't respect our immigration laws why should you respect any others?
And by the way, this is America and our flag has stars and stripes Please get that other one out of my face.

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

Posted by: RHOACO | May 3, 2010 10:05:42 PM

Charlie Daniels-RHOACO or whoever you are: like most teabaggers who mutter on for many long paragraphs shows his ignorance and hate in spades. Keep talking right wingers so America can see your problem is you've every advantage in our country and still ended up ignorant and ready to ignore facts to fuel your white only attitudes.

Look it up-there are no more crimes by our immigrant population than the rest. Most people marching in demonstrations are citizens that support immigration reform that is realistic and practical.

You can rage all you want "Charlie" but you offer not one idea for dealing with the situation. Maybe you should appoint yourself the roundup king and head out with your six shooter to round 'em all up. You can keep pretending you're in a cowboy movie from 1950 and that you are the hero.

Go back to school and learn something about reality and stop the sick fantasies you feed. It is your type that hates America because you don't respect the constitution, the bill of rights or the democracy. Everyone should listen to your ravings and obey. I'm glad my mind isn't sick like yours. It must be hell living in it,

Posted by: Hispanic Citizen | May 4, 2010 7:31:35 AM

Hispanic Citizen. I love how you call out the individual for asking our leaders to enforce the laws of the land while those from foriegn lands cross into our great country without a single ouce of respect for our democracy, bill of rights or our constitution. They just demand to be here while our forefathers bore the brunt of this great nation and it's freedoms.

When I think that the misguided and misinformed folks out there like you believe the way you do it makes me sad that you do not care about the laws of our nation. The United States of America is still the greatest place on earth but it has some basic rules to follow. If a group of individuals want to be here than there is a process to follow. If they don't repect that like many of their counterparts do then they must go and do it right. Should we ignore those who have done it right? Should we ignore the fact that there are criminals coming over? Or do you want to call them all a victim? I feel blessed I was born into this great country and I don't blame anyone for wnating to be here but if our government cannot protect us because people take out to the streets and protest then shame on the politician. And shame on the citizens of our nation to what the laws of our land to be ignored.

Posted by: Sid | May 4, 2010 9:54:21 AM

Funny stuff from this Sid troll. The federal Immigration department is charged with enforcing immigration laws not states. States don't get to each make up their own laws for that. Law 101.

Immigrants are very supportive of our democracy and have made our nation what it is today. Don't be afraid of the boogeymen in your head. Read the facts, http://tinyurl.com/238o4ad and http://tinyurl.com/375pgf

Posted by: LC voter | May 4, 2010 10:38:07 AM

Immagrants yes! Illegal immagrants, obviously no. You, obviously no. Facts are that there is a great number of illegal immagrants in this country that are here to try to make a better life for themselves. A good deal of them fly under the radar because all they do is work and stay out of trouble. There is though a great number of them who in their quest to work steal the identity of Americans citizens. But I guess that is how they supprt democracy. Also, there is the violent criminal element which I'm sure in your mind are the victims of this whole thing.

So call me names and feel better about your disrespect for the American citizens so that foriegners can stomp on our laws. Endorse crime like you keep doing and sleep well at night. Your disrespect for the basic laws of our land are a sad sign of who you are.

Posted by: Sid | May 4, 2010 11:33:06 AM

Did you read the articles with the facts in them?

Posted by: LC Voter | May 4, 2010 11:38:29 AM

Ok LC Voter. I'll type slower for you. This conversation is about reading the bill and has turned into something else. But take about thirty minutes and read what I wrote and then ask your mom to to help you understand it. You seem to be grasping at something but I'm not sure where you are going. Good luck.

Posted by: Sid | May 4, 2010 4:27:34 PM