« Sen. Tom Udall Signs On as Cosponsor of Repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" | Main | $86 Million: NM One of First States to Receive New Round of Education Stabilization Funds »

Monday, March 08, 2010

Dem Lt. Gov. Candidate Debate Featured Lively Exchanges Before 150+

Click for larger version or album

More than 150 Democrats attended the DFA-Democracy for New Mexico debate with the five Democratic candidates for Lieutenant Governor on Saturday morning at the UNM Law School in Albuquerque. Turns out most of them will serve as delegates at the DPNM Pre-Primary Convention in Pojaoque on March 13, where they'll be voting for their favorites in this race, as well as in a number of other statewide contests. The League of Women Voters provided the moderator and time keepers for the event.

Rep. Joe Campos, Brian Colon, Sen. Linda Lopez, Sen. Jerry Ortiz y Pino and Lawrence Rael each answered a set of questions submitted by DFNM and the audience, and got to pose a question of their own to the candidate seated next to them. The seating was determined by picking numbers out of a container. Each candidate also got an opening and closing statement.

The candidate-to-candidate questions, as well as one from the audience that asked each participant to announce who'd they'd vote for if they weren't in the race, produced the most lively and compelling interchanges. Generally, interactions were spirited but good natured, although there were a couple of moments where some minor sparks flew. These are, after all, all Democrats -- and Democrats are generally quite opinionated!

Here's a video of all the candidates' answers on who they'd support if they weren't in the race:

Below are a collection of videos of each candidate responding to a question from another candidate.

Above: Brian Colon answers question from Rep. Joe Campos on 2008 NM Presidential caucus (L); Sen. Jerry Ortiz y Pino answers question from Brian Colon on taxes Jerry voted for in legislature (R).

Above: Lawrence Rael answers question from Sen. Jerry Ortiz y Pino on whether Lawrence would make a better chief of staff than a lt. governor (L); Sen. Linda Lopez answers question from Lawrence Rael on the issues that will be important in November (R).

Above: Rep. Joe Campos answers question from Sen. Linda Lopez on who has given him the best advice in his life (L); Sen. Jerry Ortiz y Pino answers question by Lawrence Rael on how Jerry can work with Diane Denish on the ticket (R).

Above: Brian Colon answers question from Sen. Jerry Ortiz y Pino on his ties with Gov. Bill Richardson (L); Rep Joe Campos answers question from Brian Colon on for-profit prison in Santa Rosa (R).

Above: Sen. Linda Lopez answers question from Rep. Joe Campos on how she will complement Lt. Gov. Denish on gubernatorial ticket (L); Lawrence Rael answers question from Sen. Linda Lopez on what advice he'd give his daughter when she runs for office (R).

I'll be posting more videos from the debate as they gets processed, so check back soon. In the meantime, you can listen to audio of the entire debate here:

Audio courtesy of Peter St. Cyr

March 8, 2010 at 05:08 PM in 2010 NM Lt. Governor Race, Brian Colon, Democratic Party, DFA, DFNM - Albq, Events, Jerry Ortiz y Pino, Joe Campos, Lawrence Rael, Linda Lopez | Permalink

Comments

Why is the question that Joe Campos ask Brain Colon the only question not shown but the answer. I think we should be able to hear if not read what the question was so we can see if it was answered or avoided.

Posted by: Anthony | Mar 8, 2010 6:02:50 PM

Anthony, In an ideal world that would be the case, but the person who was doing the video clips didn't catch the question. It's difficult to video an entire event and turn a Flip video on and off perfectly. We did the best we could for now with the video we received. There was no attempt to censure the question, believe me.

We are trying to get someone else's video of the event that used more sophisticated equipment, and get that clip intact with the question. If we do, I'll substitute it.

Posted by: barb | Mar 8, 2010 8:44:12 PM

Great coverage you guys. I didn't get to be there and this is really helping. Thanks for all the work to cover it.

Posted by: Susan | Mar 8, 2010 8:55:18 PM

I disagree with what Sen. Ortiz y Pino said about the add back tax for people who itemize their deductions. Many lower middle class workers pay mortgage payments and itemize their deductions or have other reasons to do so. This is not merely a tax on wealthy people at all. I think the whole tax bill is terrible.

Posted by: Reynolds | Mar 8, 2010 9:02:09 PM

The audio of the entire debate at the end of the post is less than great quality, but you can hear Joe Campos ask his question of Brian Colon at about 55:00.

Posted by: barb | Mar 8, 2010 9:29:26 PM

@Reynolds: JOP said he voted for every tax. Some progressive champion. Jerry, I have news for you: voting for regressive taxes is not progressive, and not generally helpful to our cause. You could have shifted the consensus on the total tax package to the left, but no. I'm very disappointed. You're still my third choice, but it's hard to be less liberal than Conservadem Rael or TIDD queen Lopez.

Speaking of Linda Lopez, why didn't anybody slam her for her corrupt support of the Suncal TIDDs and bottling up ethics reform in her Senate Rules committee?? That's shameful.

Posted by: Proud Democrat | Mar 8, 2010 9:42:01 PM

Let's face it -- Lawrence Rael is the class of this field. The others are good candidates, but lack Rael's maturity and record of accomplishment.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 8, 2010 10:25:15 PM

@Alex: Rael may be a talented government administrator, but that has no relevence to the position he seeks. He has no political experience whatsoever (ask anyone!) and he's a easily the most conservative of the lot. He won't hurt Diane's election chances, but he won't help, either. Rael is #4 on my list. You can guess #5 from my previous comment, lol.

Posted by: Proud Democrat | Mar 9, 2010 1:39:52 AM

@proud: I'm not for anyone right now. But, I think the dem ticket needs a more conservative/moderate person. The Dem party is going waaaay to liberal for most Christian Dems. Also, what does political experience have to do with anything. If anything, I'd rather have a candidate without that yucky political experience. Politics is dirty and I want someone who is clean and can grow in the job and not already have the dirty political contacts - a more independent person. That's why I probably won't vote for Colon...he's too tied to all the scum in the dem party.

Posted by: S.Valley | Mar 9, 2010 8:02:31 AM

It's really amazing that someone could think that over 25 years in executive management, dealing with billion dollar budgets, and moving big projects forward has nothing to do with being Lt. Governor. I bet Diane would disagree with that. It's also really interesting to me that Colon tries to distance himself so much from Richardson. You might want to ask him "Have you ever even met Bill Richardson?" He talks about wanting honesty, but claims that Moving America Forward, which he was treasurer of, was just "a nonprofit organization." How is that honest?

Posted by: NM Democrat | Mar 9, 2010 8:06:34 AM

Remember, Ortiz y Pino voted FOR the Sun Cal TIDDs, not against it. He voted the same as Linda Lopez, a champion for the TIDDs.

I was at the debate and I thought Ortiz y Pino was negative and unappealing. He claimed Colon was made party chairman by Richardson. Tell that to the hundreds of people in the party who organized and voted for Brian because he was a force for change within the party bringing transparency that had never been there before and engaging more people to be active in the party than ever before. Ask anyone.

Brian was a treasurer for the nonprofit foundation that registered Hispanic and other voters here and in other states during the '08 election cycle. That's it. He was treasurer like he has been for many other similar organizations. Ortiz y Pino knows that but he tries to distort it to his advantage. That's not progressive-it's old school politics.

If you listen to what Ortiz y Pino has to say you'll wonder why he wants to be LG with Denish. Isn't she a part of the "Richardson administration"?

Posted by: Pre-Primary Delegate | Mar 9, 2010 8:53:58 AM

S. Valley: Can you point out how the Democratic Party is "going waaaay to liberal for most Christian Dems."

I would love to hear what you have to say based on what has been passed in the legislature! Sen. Ortiz y Pino and the rest of the "progressives" in the Roundhouse voted for badly regressive taxes and let fake Democrats rule on domestic partnerships.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 9, 2010 8:58:35 AM

In my opinion we have five excellant candidates.
It bothers me to hear about the race to get farthest away from Richardson. Has he really been that bad for the state: hasn't the present gov done what we put him in office for? Brought us jobs, brought us more modern transportation. IMO he did move NM forward. I am always bugged when i hear us tar and feather him. Selfishily I wish he used some of his power to get domestic partnerships passed, but he didn't. oh well. i would still give him a grade of B.

Remember he was fully examined by the feds and a grand jury twice and no charges were brought forward.

I am real tired of hearing the words "democrat culture of corruption". Sure there is some corruption in everything. When I think of corruption and politics I mainly think of Halliburton, or Enron, and other defense contractors and how they got their contracts. Is Pete Domenici Sr totally innocent regarding any corruption??

So when I hear someone say that one of the candidates is tied to all the scum in the dem party; I say ouch. Do we really think anyone in the dem party is scum? and as a lesbian I dont think the party has gone liberal at all, as long as I dont have my civil right to marry.

I suggest we be real careful saying all these negative thoughts about the present gov and that anyone close to him is corrupt. It just is not true. I can turn on kkob to hear that talk.

Posted by: mary ellen | Mar 9, 2010 9:43:57 AM

Wow! Amazing coverage. Thanks so much for the hard work that went into pulling all these clips together. I couldn't be there, and it's very helpful.

Posted by: Danny | Mar 10, 2010 9:11:20 AM