Friday, January 08, 2010
Santa Fe's Mayor Coss Gets AFSCME Endorsement for Re-Election
Mayor Coss discusses decision to run for re-election
Jose Garcia, an official of AFSCME Local 3999, announced today that Mayor David Coss has received its endorsement for reelection. AFSCME, with 700 members, is the City's largest union.
"I'm extremely honored to be endorsed by the City workers," said Mayor Coss in a statement released today. "This election is about continuing our efforts to build a strong local economy with good jobs. No one knows these issues better than working families. I look forward to continuing to work with AFSCME to serve the people of Santa Fe in this difficult economic period."
Mayor Coss said he's proud of the City's efforts to bring good paying jobs to Santa Fe, particularly jobs with health and pension benefits, as most union jobs provide.
Mayor Coss has also been endorsed by:
- American Federation of Teachers - New Mexico
- Communications Workers of America Local 7076
- Communications Workers of America Local 7037
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage, Employees - IATSE Local 480
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees - IATSE Local 423
- International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers - Local Union No. 495
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) - Local Union No. 611
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 492
- International Union of Operating Engineers Local 953
- Leaders of 1199 NM-Christus-St Vincent Hospital, LIUNA, Local 16
- New Mexico Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
- New Mexico Building and Construction Trades Council
- Northern New Mexico Central Labor Council
- Service Employees International Union, Local 1957
- Committee of Interns and Residents, Sheet Metal Workers Local 49
- United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 1564
- United Association of Plumbers and Pipe Fitters - Local Union No. 412
On Sunday, January 10, 2010 from 1 to 3 PM, the Re-elect Mayor David Coss campaign committee will celebrate the opening of its campaign office located at 4056 Cerrillos Road, Suite C-3 (across Rodeo Road near Santa Fe Place). Mayor Coss and his family will be present. The public is welcome to attend. Refreshments will be served.